𝐐: Can I travel to the US on a National Interest Exception (NIE) once I obtain my E-2 visa?

A: Yes. The State Department has backtracked on their disqualification of E-2 visa investors which happened a few months back. You can now obtain an NIE through the consulate you applied to obtain your E2 visa and travel to the US, while avoiding being subject to the US travel ban.

𝐐: Which presidential proclamations/travel bans are still in effect?

There are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all non-citizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

𝐐: What are the exceptions to the ban?
There are certain exceptions to these proclamations which apply directly to E-2 visas and L-1 visas, including:
1) travelers providing executive direction or vital support for critical infrastructure sectors, or directly linked supply chains, as outlined at https://www.cisa.gov/critical-infrastructure-sectors;
2) travelers providing vital support or executive direction for significant economic activity in the United States (new exception, as of 1st June 2021).
The exclusion from the travel ban affects all of your derivative family members accompanying or following to join you, once you’ve been granted or would be reasonably expected to receive a National Interest Exception (NIE). This means that your family: your spouse and your kids could join you on your travels.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.